Thursday, August 28, 2014

The finishing of Psalm 139 :D


Let's consider something for a moment.  So far in this Psalm we have discovered that God not only knows all about me currently but He created me and He knows my future.  He even knows what I am going to say and when I am going to say it -- which is a BIG DEAL because over half of the time I have no idea until my mouth opens!!! LOL!!!

We found out that He not only knows all about me but He understands me!!!  HUGE!  We once again discovered the truth that there is NO HIDING FROM OUR LORD!!!  NONE!!!  What relief and yet what conviction this truth brings.  Then after finding out all of that we learn that He protects us completely and He knew us before we could even be known, plus He handcrafted us with skill and knows the exact number of our days!  He is constantly taking care of us.

Then to move on to the last part of the Psalm...I must admit that I often have skipped verses19-22 just not understanding why they are there :-/  I have been attempting to understand (please remember I am not a Biblical scholar and these thoughts are mine, simply mine...I am open to learn and grow.  I find myself to be wrong and I do not want to mislead anyone...please seek God and read His Word on your own).

Psalm 139:19-24 
Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!  Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.  
For they speak against You wickedly; Your enemies take Your name in vain.
Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You?  And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies.

Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxieties; 
And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me int the way everlasting.  

It has always seems out of the blue to me as I am reading along in this Psalm and it just really resonates with me and then boom...God would You kill the wicked people and get them away from me as I hate them completely!  They are my enemies!  Whoa!  I haven't gone into the background of David as the writer of the Psalm this time, but you can check it out for yourself in 1 Samuel 17-31 and beyond ;D  Remember all that we said has been going on in this Psalm???

God's sovereignty in our lives, His very activity in creating us, providing for us and protecting us.  The very fact that nothing we do or say is every hidden from Him, nor are we ourselves.  The very fact that we are aware of the 'person' we are "the sinner" that we are means we can recognize the need in others for Jesus to be their LORD (Master, Savior) just as He is for us!  We may 'hate the wicked things' that someone does, the very fact that they are against our Father but never them!

We must allow the things that God has done and does for us to make us grateful and in turn give us the desire to share with those who do not know!

In reading Matthew Henry's commentary and thinking about why these verses seem to be thrown in this Psalm I know think it is so cool!!!  I mean here is David, called a man after God's own heart, fleeing for his very life and he is singing a song testifying that His God is His LORD and recognizing all He has done for Him thus reminding David that though wicked, evil men are after him to kill him, he is in God's hand and but for the grace of God Himself he could be counted as one of those wicked, evil men!!

Thus, the confession (desire) of his heart was declared:  Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.  Psalm 139:23-24.

WOW!!!!  Are God and His Word not amazing???  He is so good to reveal Himself to us in His Word!!!

Father God, I know that I have a whole lot to learn and even more transformation needs to be done to make me more like You, but I am so grateful You have given me the opportunity to be in Your Word and attempt to share what You are showing me.  God may You clear up any misconceptions in me or correct me in any area where I am saying the wrong thing...I do not want to mislead any one!  I trust You, LORD, to do what You will.  Thank You for creating me, for protecting me, and for never ever leaving me or allowing me to leave You and hide.  Thank You for giving me Your Holy Spirit to live inside of me...May He have His way in me! Forgive me for quenching or grieving You, Holy Spirit.  Forgive me for thinking highly of myself when the fact is that I am a sinner saved by Your grace alone!  Thank You for rescuing me from myself!  I, too, ask that You, LORD, would search me...You already know me inside and out, but search me for my benefit that I may be lead in Your way and in Your way alone.  May I recognize Your Presence in the daily-ness of my life and may I do my part to praise You and thank You for all You have done, are doing and will do!  May I trust You that You are protecting me and guiding me and all those that I love; thank You for holding me with Your right hand and that Your grip is strong and fast!  I praise You God because You alone are worthy to be praised!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment