Monday, August 4, 2014

Words

Words…I have a love/hate relationship with them.   Not even just words in and of themselves but the delivery of them or lack of.  My tone in the saying of the words is so often sarcastic that it comes out naturally instead of awkwardly.  My point? 

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. 
Proverbs 12:18

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. 
James 1:19

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29

In reading an entry from the Jesus Calling Devotion from August 3rd I was ‘hit’ with these verses at its conclusion.   I have been thinking on them off and on today with a few thoughts about some other words running around in my head as well.  I thought I would share. 

Change - as a verb it means – become or make different; substitute or replace something; modify, vary, transform, adjustment  
Caring – showing concern; thoughtful, helpful, loving, considerate, compassionate, affectionate, attentive

Enough.  As I am thinking of words in general and how they can wound us or how the lack of words can often be just as painful I wonder how can I change.  Now I do not want reformation, but transformation that can only come from Christ and yet do I?  Really?  It seems to me I am often willing to be reckless with my words rather than wise.  Being quick to listen – now you might as well be speaking a foreign language.  In my own strength I am REALLY GOOD at offering opinions and ‘helping’ without even giving someone a change to finish their thought.  I will not even mention how easy it is for me to get angry – do I always act on it – no, but I often let it ooze out slowly rather than taking it to the Lord and allowing Him to help me with their ultimate presenting of themselves – words, that is ;)  as they do come out eventually!!!

Do I attempt to keep unwholesome things from coming out of my mouth?  Well, I guess that depends on your definition of unwholesome.  Am I speaking words that are beneficial to those who hear them?  Again it depends on the conversation and more importantly on my surrender to the Holy Spirit’s lead in my life.  I find that I am much better at sharing beneficial words with a ginormous ‘BUT’ tacked on instead of leaving it at the beneficial.  Now I am not suggesting that there is not a time and a place for correction, for standing firm etc.; however I am stating that I NEED TO BE MORE CONCERNED with the change of my own heart and attitude and be determined to say only the part that is beneficial.  It can all be beneficial THE WORD OF GOD tells us it can…I do not have to leave room for my sarcasm, my opinion, or my judgment.  In fact as I well know this can become a habit that is hard to break and I for one do not want to be judged as harshly as I often find myself judging (even if only in my head – doesn’t that mean that this is my heart?) 

Am I willing to change? 
Are you?

Am I willing to have a tongue that is wise and that brings healing?
Are you?

Am I willing to be quick to listen?
Are you?

Am I willing to be slow to speak?
Are you?

Am I willing to build others up according to their needs not my own?
Are you?

Am I willing to allow my words to be a benefit to those who hear me?
Are you?

Am I willing to put others ahead of myself and love them as Christ calls me too?
Are you?

Am I willing to start at home instead of with others?
Are you?

What does God want?


I want to be willing…sometimes I have to start there.  Father God, please give me the willingness to want to be all You have for me.  Give me a hunger for You, because sometimes God I am just hungry for what I want, for what I think is going to meet my needs and the people that I ‘talk’ to often end up with the anger, the criticism and the sarcasm simply because I am unwilling to come to You before I open my mouth.  You promise that You will give me the strength to do those things that You call me too, Jesus, thank You for that and so much more.  Thank You for never giving up on me.  Help me to extend the same willingness to be kind and beneficial with my words toward husband, my children and myself that I am often willing to give to complete strangers.  Forgive me, Lord, for beating myself up and for often allowing my mouth to have its own way.  Please work in my heart, my mind and in my spirit, at the very root of me and make me more like You.  Help each one of us, Lord to realize how much our words matter!  May we share life, period.

No comments:

Post a Comment