Friday, September 12, 2014

Pressed, not crushed...

2 Corinthians 4:8-9; 16-18
8)  We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed but not in despair; 
9)  persecuted but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed--

16) Therefore we do not lose heart.  Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  
17) for our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weigh of glory, 
18) while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen.  For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 

Hebrews 11:1 
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

In looking at Ephesians 3:20-21 yesterday and now these verses today with Psalm 139 hovering closely in my mind I realize that first of all no matter what you think is going to be - it is usually not that and secondly that it really does not matter because I am in God's hands, period and He is trustworthy.

I don't need to say this, but I will...LIFE IS HARD.  Each of us knows what it is to be hard pressed even to the point of feeling that we will be crushed, perplexed and deeply depressed and yet we do not have to despair.  Persecuted?  Not so much here outwardly in America and yet I find that the enemy does a pretty doggone good job of persecuting and yet I know that I am not forsaken.  Struck down, most definitely struck down, but I am still here so I reckon I am not destroyed.

I love the next passage listed above (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)  I do not lose heart because though my outward 'woman' ;) is perishing my inward 'woman' is being renewed day by day or at least I have the option of going to my LORD and allowing Him to renew me inside - in my mind, in my will, in my soul!  That is something to be grateful for - the ability to look inward instead of outward at the seemingly impossible circumstances.  

I have been wanting a stronger faith, one that does not flow up and down with my emotions but rather is consistently placed on and in the only one worthy - Jesus Christ.  I find hope hard so therefore I find faith hard and therefore things not seen are hard, well to see!  A stronger faith requires looking for the "substance of things hoped for" or the literal things that we put our hope in - God's goodness, His mercy, His faithfulness, His love, His forgiveness, His deliberate 'forgetfulness' of my sin, His strength and His provision.

So the question for me this morning is... what is the substance of the things I hope for?  Have I gone so far as to lose heart and if so would that not be because I am not allowing my Father God to renew me inwardly day by day?  The facts are that each of us is hard pressed in some way - welcome to this imperfect world, but we (you or I) do not have to 'live' there.  It is so hard not too, I know, but truly we do not have to live there.  Again, we focus on HIM and what HE CAN DO and the fact that HE IS ABLE.  The hard part is waiting and being still, huh?

Remember that we serve a God who is able to do abundantly exceedingly above all that we ask or think!  Let that stir up some hope in you!  Please God stir up hope within us!  We have a Father God that knows all about us and loves us with an everlasting love anyway!  Let's choose to set our minds on things above, not on things on the earth where our life is hidden with Christ in God (Colossians 3:2-3).  Our life is already hidden with Christ in God and this is our reality, not what we see here on earth!  Let's ask Him to "Create in (us) a clean heart, and renew a steadfast spirit within (us)" Psalm 51:10.  Let's ask Him to help us to renew our minds (Romans 12:2) and take every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5)

Father God, May Your Word be life to us in this daily life that is just hard.  You know the struggles that we each go through.  I am thankful that You know mine and You care, not only that but You have a plan and a purpose that is for my good. (Jeremiah 29:11).  You promise that the work You have begun in me You will complete one day (Philippians 1:6).  I am counting on You!  Help me to not allow myself to focus on the things that are pressing down on me and mine, threatening to crush us but on the fact that You are in charge no one else and You will not allow any thing to crush us.  Thank You that being crushed and being broken are different things.  May we be broken and poured out for You.  Empty us of our selves and the desires that are contrary to Your will.  May we surrender and trust You to mold us as You will.  You are the Potter and we are the clay and this molding it hurts, God, but I know that You are faithful l and You will take care of us and give us the strength of Your Son, Jesus, in order that we may endure. Create in me a clean heart, Father,  and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  May I do my part in renewing my mind and taking each thought captive.  Forgive me for making excuses.  I praise You for Your Word, for the hope You bring through it.  I praise You for Your faithfulness, Your love, Your infinite mercy, Your amazing grace and Your complete forgiveness.  Help us, Lord to call upon You and search for You with our whole hearts.  May we not spend more time seeking the things of this world than we do seeking You.  Help us, Lord.  

No comments:

Post a Comment