Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Clothing Choices

Therefore, God's chosen ones, holy and loved, put on heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, accepting one another and forgiving one another if anyone has a complaint against another.  Just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you must also forgive.  Above all, put on love -- the perfect bond of unity.  And let the peace of the Messiah, to which you were also called in one body, control your hearts.  Be thankful.  Colossians 3:12-15 ((HCSB)

As a Christ Follower I am God's chosen one.  I am holy because Jesus is holy (Colossians 1:21-22).  Because of Jesus I have the strength (Philippians 4:13) to follow His commands.  In Colossians 3:12 I am commanded to put on (or clothe myself with - in the NIV) heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  

Compassion - sympathetic consciousness of other's distress with a desire to alleviate it. 
Humility - the quality or state of not thinking you are better than other people.
Gentleness - having or showing a kind and quiet nature; not hard or forceful.
Patience - bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint.

I have to ask myself what am I putting on?  What am I wearing?  I need to make a deliberate choice to clothe myself with these traits as God has commanded me too; otherwise I will likely have on my default clothing of impatience, judgment, unkindness or at least some level of sarcasm and have little love being exhibited in my life.  I so easily revert to the old ways (Colossians 3:5, 8)  It is a constant battle and process to surrender my life to Christ and walk in His ways rather than my own.  

I am so thankful that I do not have to do any of this on my own.  Aren't you?

I am told to accept others as well as to forgive them.  I can forgive when I remind myself that I have been forgiven much (Matthew 18:21-35).  It is not easy but I benefit when I am obedient.  

I am commanded that above all I am to put on love - clothe myself in love.  How?  I am Christ's and He is love (1 John 4:16).  I am to love others just as He loves (John 15:12).  I need to look for things in others that I can relate to and then I am able to begin to love them at least a bit.  

How do I benefit from being deliberate in choosing what I will clothe myself with?  His peace controls my heart and then I am able to be thankful.  Everything He requires of me is a process and He provides all I need to be obedient.  I need to surrender and be willing to be obedient.  I need to ask Him for His strength and then rely on Him. He is trustworthy.  He will provide. 

In each situation I find myself in I have to decide what I will be wearing :)  Am I going to show compassion or judgment?  Am I going to be kind and gentle or harsh?  Am I going to exhibit patience and acceptance or anger and rejection?  Am I going to forgive or am I going to be bitter?  

Choice after choice.  Will I walk this journey He has me on in His way or will I choose my own way?  What about you?  

Father God, thank You for Your unfailing love for me.  Your faithfulness that is great and Your mercies that are new every morning.  Thank You for forgiving me and making me Your very own.  Please Jesus, through Your strength, help me to choose to clothe myself with love, compassion, acceptance, forgiveness, kindness, gentleness, humility and patience.  Thank You, Holy Spirit, that You live within me and You give me the ability to walk in Your ways.  Forgive me when I react in ways that are not glorifying to You, particularly with my family.  Change me from the inside out.  Remind me of the Truth of Your Word throughout my days and help me to hear You and obey.  Help me to be thankful more often.  Thank You for providing for me more than I can think, ask or imagine.  Thank You for saving me and for refusing to leave me in the state I am in.  Thank You for the abundance of Your mercy and grace toward me...help me to extend that same mercy and grace to others.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment