Thursday, September 8, 2016

Restore Joy

Psalm 51 (various verses from HCSB)
1) Be gracious to me, God according to Your faithful love; according to Your abundant compassion, blot out my rebellion.  
2) Wash away my guilt, and cleanse me from my sin. 
3) For I am conscious of my rebellion, and my sin is always before me.  
4a) Against You - You alone - I have sinned and done this evil in Your sight. 

6) Surely You desire integrity in the inner self, and You teach me wisdom deep within.

8) Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones You have crushed rejoice. 
9) Turn Your face away from my sins and blot out all my guilt. 
10) God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit with in me.  
11) Do not banish me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me.  
12) Restore the joy of Your salvation to me, and give me a willing spirit. 

15)  Lord, open my lips and my mouth will declare Your praise.  

17) The sacrifice pleasing to God is a broken spirit.  God, You will not despise a broken and humbled heart.

I am struck today with my pride and rebellion, the constant battle to submit my will to His will.  I like things my way.  I like things to go my way and for others to agree with me.  I struggle with self-centeredness and self-righteousness throughout my day.  I have an opinion about everything and of course, I think it is the best one.  I am constantly battling against manipulating things to look my way or to suit me.  I have a sin problem.  And yet, I do desire to submit to the Lord and I recognize that even this desire comes from Him.

I look at Psalm 51 and I am overwhelmed with awe and gratitude.  The Psalmist David asks God for much and yet I know the reality of all that he asked for!! I am certainly blessed.  As are you if you have placed your faith and trust in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.

Will you reread the verses above and ponder all that Christ has done for you and me?

Father God, I thank You that You are full of grace toward me because of Your unfailing love and abundant compassion for me.  I thank You that through the blood of Jesus You have washed away my guilt and cleansed me from my sin.  I am conscious of my rebellion and my sin is ever before me.  I know that I can never measure up on my own and that I could not pay the debt that my sin required.  Thank You, Jesus for paying my debt.  Forgive me for the sin that I excuse and ignore.  Please reveal it to me and give me the strength to repent with godly sorrow.  I know that my sin is against You and You alone.  I know You desire a pure heart deep within me.  I pray that You would make it so and that You would teach me wisdom.  I do ask that You would enable me to know joy and gladness in realizing that all my sin has been blotted out and washed clean.  I do pray that You would create in me a clean heart and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Forgive me where I have quenched and grieved Your Holy Spirit in my life.  Thank You for the truth of Your promise that You will never leave me or forsake me, period.  Restore to me the joy of my salvation and give me a willing spirit.  Yes, Lord, may I recognize Your Voice and obey.  Please open my mouth and enable me to declare Your praise at every opportunity.  God, convict me of sin in my life and break me in all ways that will bring You glory.  May I be willing to submit and have a humble heart before You.  Thank You again Jesus for the fulfillment of Your Word in my life.  Thank You that I know, that I know that You love me and that I am Yours.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment