Wednesday, November 30, 2016

I can...because of Jesus

A look at a few of Paul's words in Philippians.

Philippians 1:20b-21, I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die.  For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 

Philippians 2:12b-13, Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear.  For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him. 

Philippians 3:10a, I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised Him from the dead.  I want to suffer with Him. 

Philippians 4:11b, I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.

Philippians 4:13, I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.

I have been contemplating my lack of contentment and in so doing I found myself looking at Paul and wondering how he claimed contentment?

He trusted Christ, period, whether he was to live or die, no matter what came.  He knew that He belonged to Christ and thus he would live for Him, regardless and he looked forward to dying.  In other words, he did not worry about what was happening to him or what would happen to him.  He trusted Christ.  Oh God, I want to trust You like this.  Give me the faith of a child.  

He tells me it is vital that we work hard revealing the fact that I am saved through Christ and to be determined to obey God, no excuses.  After all, God, Himself, is the one who works in me giving the very desire and the power to do what pleases Him.  Father God, please forgive me for trying to do things in my own power instead of using my energy to be determined to obey You.  I am often more concerned with what I am doing instead of whom I am doing it for.   I trust You to provide the desire and the power.  I do want to please You.  

Paul's desire was to know Christ and experience His mighty power.  Is that my desire?  Do I truly want to know Christ and experience more of Him or do I just say that I do?  Am I wiling to suffer with Him/for Him?  His contentment came with this and the fact that whatever came he knew he could do it because Christ would give him the strength he needed.  He was never left on his own.  Jesus, please give me the desire to know You and experience You more each day.  May I not be content with anything less than to know You more.  And may I trust, really trust that You will provide all the strength I need no matter what.  

Father God, may You receive glory from my life and this daily struggle to surrender fully to You.  I pray for Your strength to be content and full of joy.  You alone know me and understand my battles and yet You promise victory, ultimately.  May I put my eyes on You with more regularity and may I truly desire You as evidenced by my actions not just my words.  I know that anything is possible with You, Jesus.  Thank You for providing all that I need to live this life for Your purpose.  Have Your will and way in me...

No comments:

Post a Comment