Friday, January 17, 2014

Psalm 19 - God's Revealing

Psalm 19
1) The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky proclaims the work of His hands.
2) Day after day they pour out speech; night after night they communicate knowledge. 
3) There is no speech; there are no words; their voice is not heard.
4) Their message has gone out to all the earth, and their words to the ends of the inhabited world.  In the heavens He has pitched a tent for the sun.  
5) It is like a groom coming from the bridal chamber; it rejoices like an athlete running a course. 
6) It rises from one end of the heavens and circles to their other end; 
nothing is hidden from its heat. 
7) The instruction of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is trustworthy, making the inexperienced wise. 
8) The precepts of the LORD are right, making the heart glad; the commandment of the LORD is radiant, making the eyes light up. 
9) The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever; the ordinances of the LORD 
are reliable and altogether righteous. 
10) They are more desirable than gold--than an abundance of pure gold; 
and sweeter than honey--honey dripping from the comb.
11) In addition, Your servant is warned by them; there is great reward in keeping them. 
12) Who perceives his unintentional sins?  Cleanse me from my hidden faults.
13) Moreover, keep Your servant from willful sins; do not let them rule over me.  
Then I will be innocent and cleansed from blatant rebellion. 
14) May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart 
be acceptable to You, LORD, my rock and my Redeemer. 

So much has been said here in this Psalm.  Do you ever just look at the sky and marvel at all God does?  How it changes in moments and at different seasons.  Our God is an artist.  He proclaims Himself is so many ways.  Think about the brilliance of the sun after it has been hidden behind the clouds for a few days, breathtaking and all inclusive in it's covering.  He reveals Himself to us so often in nature, are we paying attention?  Are we grateful?  Sometimes, we are but if you are like me oftentimes you take His glorious show for granted.  I love in those split seconds when He gets my attention and just overwhelms me with the beauty of His Creation.  

Verse 7 tells us of the perfection of the LORD's instruction, that it revives the soul!  You ever experienced that?  Like the touching of the bright noonday sun warming our face is the sensation of His Word reviving our soul!  The Word here says, 'testimony of the LORD is trustworthy.'  It is, I have found it to be so!  Praise the Lord for His marvelous Word that isn't just 'words' but is the 'Word made Flesh to dwell among us, John 1:14.  Jesus, Himself is the Word!  He not only spoke the Word, but lived it and made it so much more than Words!  I am so grateful!  I love words, as you have noticed, but I have found that words themselves are not enough.  Actions need to follow those words, both for myself and for others.  I want to learn to be more cautious with my words and make sure I mean what I say.  Just realizing the completeness of Jesus as the Word is such a relief; to know that He said, He means it and He will follow through on it!  Such peace, such joy and such joy in knowing that He is trustworthy!  He keeps His promises; all of them!

He says that following His instruction will make us wise and that knowing they are right will make our hearts glad and our eyes light up!  His Word is radiant!  The fear (worshipful submission, reverential awe and obedient respect - according to the HCSB notes) of the LORD is pure, it endures forever because His Word is reliable and altogether righteous, vs. 9.  Don't you love that word, altogether?  I love how in every way God always goes above and beyond!  His Word is not just radiant, pure, enduring forever, reliable but ALTOGETHER righteous!  His Truth is completely and utterly righteous!  He is sovereign, He has a plan and He is completely right in it!  Our questions are fine as long as they cause us to reconsider His control and recognize that He is doing the best thing all the time!  Our reward comes from keeping His Word!  I want to know His Word but not just in my head. but in my actions.  The question is, am I willing to put forth the effort it takes to know His Word, to know Him or will I spend most of my time distracted and pursuing those things that will not last?  

Look at verses 12-13; He perceives even the sins that I don't recognize; those that perhaps I commit out of ignorance or even out of innocence.  See what He does once again?  He goes above and beyond.  He cleanses me from my willful sins and even allows us to ask for help in not succumbing to them and beyond that He cleanses us from those things that we do unintentionally and oftentimes eventually reveals the wrongness in it in such a way that I do not feel spanked, but that much more loved because He cares enough to confront me.  There is no better friend than that!  Is He your Friend?  Or have you let it be enough that He is your redeemer, your savior, Your healer, etc...?  

I love verse 14!  I have for many years and yet I am so thankful He had me back up to see the entire Psalm instead of once again landing somewhere familiar.  What a great reminder of the 'BIGNESS' of God this psalm is!  Of His intimate work in us, His revealing of Himself to us!  I can so see how David's words/song was culminated in verse 14.  Consider all the works of God's hand, the revealing of Himself visually through creation to the fulfillment of His Word and it will certainly change your view of yourself.  I find that I am not quite as important as I think I am and yet I am of ultimate value to my very Creator!  I find that to look at Him clearly, helps me to see my lack and enables me to then confess and repent and He then renews and restores my hunger for Him!  Verse 14 (I didm't forget), "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You, LORD, my rock and my Redeemer."  In going through the process this Psalm presents I find myself desiring what God wants instead of my own will!  He allows me to want change and to recognize that He is the One with the strength to make it happen. Oh, the power of His Word!  Get in it and He will show you marvelous things; He will show You Himself and there is nothing greater!

Father God, thank You for being my rock and my Redeemer!  Thank You for revealing Yourself to me and helping me to see Your great worth the blessing that it is to be Yours!  Thank You again for the visual reminders in the heavens of Your mercy, grace, provision, beauty, comfort, etc.  Thank You for never ever tiring of me and for revealing Yourself in my life and helping me to reject those things that are not of You.  May I look to You and Your Word first and foremost.  May I recognize the worth of Your Word and not take it so often for granted.  Please God, transform me from the inside out!  Help me to obey You and You alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment