Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Exception? NOPE!

The word exception is on my mind today.  Exception - the act of excepting or the fact of being excepted; something expected; an instance or case not conforming to the general rule.  Why, you might ask?  Well, Romans 8:1 came to my attention this morning, 'Therefore, no condemnation now exists for those in Christ Jesus.'  With this verse I began to wonder why I often consider myself the exception and the realization that I do this more often than not!  This is not a good thing; this is pride at its very root and I am only just seeing it as such.  Who am I to think that I am the only one that God's Word does not apply to, or that maybe I am just a little bit condemned?  I mean, if you really knew me deep inside, you would probably condemn me too.  But WAIT, His Word says there is NO CONDEMNATION THAT EXISTS FOR THOSE IN CHRIST JESUS!  Not a little bit, not a lot a bit; absolutely NONE!  HOW??? Look at verse 2 of Romans 8, 'because the Spirit's law of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.'  

Are you getting this with me?  Do you see the totality of it?  JESUS HAS SET ME FREE!  I am not the exception; nor are you!  And why in the world would I want to be???  This is how I often live my life though in the day to day.  I hang my head, I feel disappointed with myself and I allow myself to be convinced that I am not worthy of this freedom and of this abundant life!  IT IS NOT ABOUT ME BEING WORTHY EVER!  I AM NOT WORTHY IN MY OWN STRENGTH, IN MY OWN ACTIONS; BUT BECAUSE OF JESUS I AM ACCEPTED!  I AM NOW WORTHY ALL THE TIME BECAUSE I AM HIS!  He did the work and yet so often I fall right back into the trap of thinking that I must do something else!  Colossians 2:9-10 tells me I have been given the 'fullness of God's nature."  Hebrews 10:14 says, 'For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are sanctified!'  Perfected means to be made complete and sanctified means we have been set apart.  Jesus does this for us and so much more!

Why do I spend so much time believing the lies of the enemy and my flesh?  Do I like to be depressed?  Do I like to be defeated?  Do I like drama?  Do I ???  I want out of this trap!  I want to spend more of my days recognizing Jesus and His work in my life than I do giving in to the old habits and lies of the enemy.  I am not dead in my trespasses and sins anymore! Ephesians 2:8, For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift!  I am alive, fully alive in Christ and I need to live like it!  Philippians 1:6 tells me that I can be sure that He is at work; am I?  Yes, I am and where I am weak I want to be sure and strong!  "I am sure of this, that He who started a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." He started the work and He will complete it...I can rest in that knowledge!  He is trustworthy!  He is faithful!  Remember?  His faithfulness is GREAT, Lamentations 3:23!  His love is UNFAILING, Psalm 117:2!  His grace is FREELY GIVEN, Ephesians 1:6!  His mercy is ABUNDANT, Ephesians 2:4!

Father God, thank You for Your truth!  Thank You, Jesus for the work You did on the cross and that You didn't stop there, but You rose from the grave to give me life!  Forgive me for thinking I was the exception, for thinking that there are qualifications on Your gift!  For not accepting what You say as the full truth!  Forgive me for living with my head down, condemned and defeated when You have set me free!  You lift my head and You give me victory!  May I walk through this day as You lead!  May I step out of the way and simply obey!  Please Holy Spirit, forgive me for grieving You, for quenching You in my life!  May You open my eyes, my ears, soften my heart and renew my mind!  Help me to place my eyes on You and Your work!  Help me to rest, truly rest in knowing that You have me, You are at work and You will never leave me!  I am Your beloved!  I am Your princess!  I am Your daughter!  I am Yours and nothing else matters!  Help me to truly walk in the truth of this!  You be in charge and when I am tempted to fall, to take over once again or to give in to my thoughts, fears, etc. I pray that You will get my attention quickly and that You alone will be Lord of my life!  Thank You for Your Word and thank You for the book Classic Christianity that has thrust me into Your Word in ways I have never been before!  Thank You, too, for Jason Gray and his music, for using it to encourage me and allowing me to worship You with it!  "Remind Me Who I Am!"  Jesus, throughout this day and beyond!  I love You and I praise You because You alone are worthy to be praised!!!


2 comments:

  1. When people say they are too bad to be forgiven, that ironically is arrogance. That their sin is bigger than God's grace is extremely arrogant and self focused. Your thoughts about this are right on target. Your wording is much more merciful than mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS is exactly what I needed to see/read today. I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit led you to type these words, Tammy, and that you shared this with us. In your prayer these words resounded and I read them over and over again-"You are at work and You will never leave me! I am Your beloved! I am Your princess! I am Your daughter! I am Yours and nothing else matters!" So often, we need to remind ourselves of these precious promises. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete