Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Abba, Daddy

I sit here today thinking about God as my Father, my Abba. As that little girl who runs unabashedly and jumps into His arms.  No wondering if He will catch me.  No wondering if He will be paying attention.  No wondering if He hears my cries.  No wondering if He loves me.  No wondering...

Knowing.

Romans 8:14-16 
(14) All those led by God's Spirit are God's sons.
(15)  For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father!'
(16)  The Spirit Himself testifies together with our spirit that we are God's children. 

I am thinking too hard.  I am trying to wrap my mind around the fact that the God of the universe.  The Creator of all things.  The Holy and Righteous One.  The Faithful One.  Who is forgiving, loving, merciful, steadfast, immovable, all-sufficient, all-knowing, ever-present...is my DADDY.   I am overwhelmed.  I am unworthy.  I am amazed.

To see Who He is.  To know Him as my Abba.

Often I forget that I did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear...I so battle with fear.  Fear of failing.  Fear of not measuring up.  Fear of disappointing.  Fear of getting 'it' wrong.  Fear of abandonment.  Fear of rejection.  Fear of fear.

Here's that word again.  Choose.  I must choose to either be enslaved once again to fear, which is a lie, or allow the Holy Spirit of God, to whom I belong,  remind me that the TRUTH IS I am MY DADDY'S DAUGHTER!  The Word says I 'did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear.'  I have been chosen, I have been adopted by the only One who is able to fulfill all His promises.  He cannot fail.  He cannot quit.  He cannot reject me.  He chose me.  I am His baby girl.  His!  I can cry out to Him.

Will I chose to 'walk by the Spirit'?  Or will I chose to 'fulfill the desires of my flesh?'  - Galatians 5:16.  Will I hold my head up as a daughter of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords?  This makes me a princess.  Me.  Will I give in to the fear that I must earn the love of my father?  Will I give in to the fear that I am unloveable and rejected? Will I give in to hurt and anger?  Selfish ambitions?  Envy?  If I do, then I am believing the father of lies!  And he is not my daddy!!!

Thank You, Holy Spirit for testifying within my spirit today, that I am God's child.  This isn't a distant thought or a concept to think about.  This is a fact.  This is what I know!  I am so thankful that being Your daughter isn't about me, about what I can do, or can't do.  Our relationship is all because of Who You Are!  Thank You, Father for being so much more than a distant father who directs, and rules and expects.  That You are a Daddy who desires to be with me.  That You are my defender, protector, my deliverer, my shield.  You are tender, loving, gentle, kind.  You are attentive.  You are interested.  Thank You, God that Your Word says, "He will rejoice over you with gladness.  He will bring You quietness with His love.  He will delight in you with shouts of joy."  Zephaniah 3:17.  Me.    You, Father, the God of All things do all this for me and are all this to me.  Thank You.  Increase my trust in You.  May I run to You will the abandon of that little girl deep within me that knows You never let go.  Forgive me for holding back, for giving in to fear, for not trusting You completely.  For striving so hard to understand instead of resting in You and the truth of all You are.  Thank You for never giving up on me.  For delighting in me.  Me.   

Wait, it also says at the beginning of verse 17, "The LORD your God is among you, a warrior who saves.   You are a warrior who saves!  Until today, I had skimmed past that part of the verse in a hurry to see You rejoice over me.  But the fact is You are my warrior!  You save me!  You saved me eternally through sending Your Son, Jesus, to die for my sins and rise again so that I may have life.  Life with You, here and now as well as in heaven one day.  You also save me daily!  From myself, from falling back into the slavery of fear and so much more!  Our relationship is ongoing.  You make it active.  You fight for me.  You protect me.  You save me, rejoice over me with gladness, You quiet me with Your love.  You delight in me with shouts of joy!  You are Amazing God!  I praise You because You alone are worthy to be praised.  You fight, Father, I choose to rest.  I choose to trust You.  I will wait while You work.

Oh, Abba, thank You!  Really.  THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment