Thursday, November 14, 2013

Rejoice in The Lord

WHY GOD GAVE US ARMS
Hugs, I believe, are why God gave us arms,
to help us feel safe & secure away from the world's harms.

The best hugs are filled with the unmeasurable love
Which comes from our Heavenly Father above,

He generously gave us the ability to hug & share
His wondrous love & unending care.

Through a hug we unselfishly give
An example of Jesus, who died, so we can live.

You see He died on a cross with arms opened wide,
Inviting us to receive Him & walk by His side.

He not only died, but He rose again,
Cleansing all who believe in Him from sin...

Now do you understand why I believe God gave us arms?

                                                            By Tammy Lay (Vincent)
                                                            Summer 1989


Just thinking of God's provision this morning reminded me of this poem I wrote as a teenager.  So I thought I would share it as I sit here thinking of ways to Rejoice in The Lord. I am away from the computer & attempting to use an iPad ;-) so bear with me please.

Philippians 4:4
Rejoice in The Lord always.  I will say it again:  Rejoice!

Rejoice:  to be glad; take great delight in; to make joyful.  Some synonyms:  be overjoyed, celebrate, glory, revel, triumph.

How did you do yesterday choosing to rejoice in The Lord?

I struggled.  I mean, is your focus as easily distracted as mine?  It's that word ALWAYS, that gets me.  I am always able to form an opinion. Always able to try & take control of a situation. Always able think the negative or be critical or think about what I want or like or think I need.

But to REJOICE IN THE LORD ALWAYS...now that takes work.  That is not 'natural.'  Wait a minute...if we are in Christ we are no longer 'natural,' the old has passed away and the new has come, 2 Corinthians 5:17.  Christ in us will give us the strength to rejoice in Him! Always is a goal...it will take much practice & truly it won't culminate until heaven.  But that is no excuse...I want to grow in choosing to rejoice in The Lord more often. To take my eyes off my circumstances & deliberately make the choice to rejoice in Him. Do you?

For me this takes me back to the poem from earlier...looking for physical reminders of God's provision helps me to turn my focus on Him.  Arms, hugs...maybe it is simplistic but truly I love hugs! Especially from my husband & children.  I love to be held & hold.  I love to hug a friend as well.  But consider with me a hug from Jesus!  Ultimate love, ultimate security, ultimate peace & an ultimate experience of being known!  He is ALWAYS with us!  He is ALWAYS holding us!!! Oh, too really grasp that would have to lead to us rejoicing in Him!  Do you realize that His Word says He rejoices over you, He takes great delight in you (Zephaniah 3:17).  He is our example in everything!!!

Pay attention to the things that help you turn your focus to Christ, to rejoicing in Him.

I'll leave you with a few more examples:

Music with words that allow me to sing about & to Jesus = rejoicing in The Lord.
A hike in the woods, being surrounded by His creation = rejoicing in The Lord.
A sunrise or sunset.  Looking into the eyes of my husband, really seeing him.
My children and the gift that they are from God.  A dear friend who listens & shares.
Reading His Word & recognizing who God is.  Listening to silence, learning to be still.  Drinking a cup of hot tea.
Crocheting.  Pondering on the Names of God.  Reminiscing.  Writing out my prayers, journaling.  Having plenty to eat.
Worshipping with the body of Christ.  Serving/helping someone.  Simply listening.  Etc...

God gives us all this & much more to help us to chose to rejoice in Him!  Will you join me on this journey His way & choose to rejoice in Him more often, to practice looking at Him & for Him?  He is right there with us all the time! He doesn't hide! He wants to be first in our hearts, our minds & our lives!  CHOOSE HIM!  He has already chosen you!

Oh, God give us eyes to see You!  The strength to choose to rejoice in You more & more each day!  What peace, what joy would be ours!  Forgive me for being so easily distracted, so selfish.  Thank You, Father, that no matter what our circumstances, our pain, our issues...You are there with us!  You are sovereign, in complete control, & we can choose to trust You & even rejoice in You & You will provide peace!  The choice is so hard to make sometimes, Lord, but so possible when we cry out to You!  Use the things in the daily-ness of our lives to help us learn to REJOICE IN YOU! Remind us that this is an internal rejoicing (not always outward), a joy, a gladness that You produce in us regardless of circumstances...a looking to You that leads to hope...You are the God of hope!  We can always find ways to celebrate You if we really want to!  Give us the want to!  Change us from the inside out & give us the opportunity to point others to You!


No comments:

Post a Comment