Friday, December 27, 2013

Psalm 27

Finally, the busyness of the Christmas season is over.  It seems to run almost out of control by the time it is all over and all the commitments to 'socialize' and 'gather' are completed.  Wears me out!  I am not opposed to people, I just find that I truly am an introvert so that being with people so constantly wears me out!  I wear myself out enough without adding all the other things to the mix!  I have missed my quiet times with the Lord, the extended times that for me are life giving and necessary for my well being.  To meet with Him sporadically and on the run just isn't enough for me.  I need focused attention both from Him and on Him.  I am more needy than most perhaps, but I am grateful that He meets me where I am.  The further I get away from the sit still and ponder time that He calls me to, whether due to busyness, or my own unwillingness to surrender my time, my sleep or whatever else the more anxious and nervous, sensitive and self-centered I find myself.  Praise God that He doesn't leave me in that miserable state.  He gives me the option to turn to Him, to seek Him, to set my mind on Him and repent of my sin.  He allows me to approach His throne of grace with boldness, so that I may receive mercy and find grace to help me at the proper time, Hebrews 4:16.

Look at Psalm 27, A Psalm written by David, with me:
1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom should I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life; whom should I be afraid?
2 When evildoers came against me to devour my flesh, my foes and my enemies stumbled and fell.  
3 Though an army deploys against me, my heart is not afraid; though a war breaks out against me, still I am confident. 
4 I have asked one thing from the Lord; it is what I desire; to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life; gazing on the beauty of the Lord and seeking Him in His temple.  
5 For He will conceal me in His shelter in the day of adversity; He will hide me under the cover of His tent; He will set me high on a rock.
6 Then my head will be high above my enemies around me; I will offer sacrifices in His tent with shouts of joy.  I will sing and make music to the Lord.  
7 Lord, hear my voice when I call; be gracious to me and answer me. 
8 My heart says this about You, 'You are to seek My face.'  Lord, I will seek Your face.
9 Do not hide Your face from me; do not turn Your servant away in anger.  You have been my helper; do not leave me or abandon me, God of my salvation. 
10 Even if my father and mother abandon me, the Lord cares for me. 
11 Because of my adversaries, show me Your way, Lord, and lead me on a level path.  
12 Do not give me over to the will of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing violence. 
13 I am certain that I will see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living. 
14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and courageous.  Wait for the Lord.  

Once again, I am not a Biblical scholar so bear with me as I share what the Lord shares with me.  Any correction is welcome, well, I guess it welcome as long as it is kind ;-)  I can only share out of where I am and what God shows me.  I need Him and I desire to bring Him glory and point to Him. 

In reading a bit of commentary on this Psalm it was pointed out that light is often thought of as comforting.   I am actually sitting right now it the brightness of the sunshine as it pours into the windows and the view beyond is spectacular with the sun covering everything.  So I guess I would have to agree that to be in the light does bring comfort.  It also brings with it warmth, a feeling of contentment, a sense of restfulness or relief.  Have you ever been in a really dark place, so dark that you could not even see your own hand in front of your face? You know as well as I do that darkness can be on the outside and yet it can also be from within.  I have found myself in both kinds of darkness and the immense comfort and relief that washed over me the moment there was some light was profound, the light of a flashlight or candle when the darkness was physical, but even more so the Light of the Truth of God's Word and His Son, Jesus, that experience of light is one like no other.   Thinking about the Lord being my Light and my salvation along with the symbolism of the sunshine is a welcome thought and a good reminder that I need not fear.  I am not alone regardless of how things look around me or even feel, He is my light, my stronghold and my salvation.  

2 Samuel 22:29, You, LORD, are my lamp; the LORD turns my darkness into light.
Job 12:22, He, God, reveals the deep things of darkness and brings utter darkness into the light.
Job 33:28, God has delivered me from going down to the pit, and I shall live to enjoy the light of life. 
Psalm 19:6, The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart.  The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. 
Isaiah 60:19, The sun will no more be your light by day, nor will the brightness of the moon shine on you, for the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory. 
John 1:4, In Him (Jesus) was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 
John 8:12, When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said, 'I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'
John 12:46, I (Jesus) have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in Me should stay in darkness. 
Ephesians 5:8, For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.  Live as children of light. 

Back to Psalm 27.  I have a choice.  I can recognize that the Lord is my light, my salvation and my stronghold and therefore not live in fear or I can focus on the 'enemies' that come against me in my daily life and sit in the darkness, afraid, this is a moment by moment decision, a recognition that God is Who He says He is and He is always my light and my salvation.  With David, do I have the one desire to 'dwell' in the presence of the Lord, to recognize His constant presence in my life and be confident in the fact that He can be found when sought, that He will conceal me, hide me from those who seek to harm me and that He will set me upon His Rock, in shelter under His tent?  I so want to be with David on this.  I so want to desire the Lord above all else, above any one else and anything else.   I mean, I am miserable when I give in to the fear and the darkness!  Why would I want to chose to live there?  Simply because I have lived there before or because I think that is all I am worthy of?  Wrong!  Because of Jesus, His righteousness, His work on the cross and His resurrection I do not live in darkness!  I may revisit it or allow it to overwhelm me but this is not something that I have to do, I can live in His Light because He is my salvation!  I can praise Him!  I can shout with joy, sing in song (rather badly, I might add, but that isn't the point ;) all because He is gracious, He is willing to hear my voice when I call regardless of whoever else dismisses me or disregards me, He will not because He is unable to be anything less than what He is!  He promises to show me His way (vs 11) and not only His way but to lead me on a level path!  I can trust Him and with David, I can be certain that I will see His goodness.  He is my light and my salvation and I can have courage and wait for Him without fear because of Who He is!  I am no longer in darkness and when the darkness tries to overwhelm me from one circumstance or another I can trust Him and wait for His provision.  

Father God, You are so good!  Thank You for Your provision and Your mercy and grace.  You alone meet my needs and You always go above and beyond what I could think or imagine!  God I am blessed beyond measure!  Thank You that You will work and that waiting on You is always worth the wait.  Thank You that I am no longer in the darkness but I am in the Light of Your Life and I am Your light and I live as Your light!  I praise You, God!  I have seen Your goodness and I am certain that I will see it again!



No comments:

Post a Comment