Saturday, December 28, 2013

Freedom to Connect

Hebrews 10:19-25
Therefore, brothers, since we have boldness to enter the sanctuary through the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way He has opened for us through the curtain (that is, His flesh), and since we have a great high priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water. Let us hold on to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.  And let us be concerned about one another in order to promote love and good works, not staying away from our worship meetings, as some habitually do, but encouraging each other, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.  

On this Journey His Way, God in His graciousness is showing me several things.  I find that I want to shout to the world what He is showing me because for one, I am being set free, but also because I have talked with so many who also struggle in ways very similar to me, while the circumstances may be very different the lies that we have believed and lived are the same.

Thus, the lie of thinking that 'all I need to heal is just God and me.' (Healing Is A Choice, Stephen Arterburn.)  Now, I have believed this lie and practiced it for many years and God, Himself has revealed to me just how untrue it is and how much farther from the healing He has from me I have journeyed by believing it.  First, know that I am not suggesting, nor is Mr. Arterburn, that God is not sufficient to meet our needs (2 Cor. 12:9), that God is not more than able (2 Cor. 9:8) to provide for us, what I am saying, shouting even, is that God has given us a 'family,' a body of believers to bear our burdens with us (Gal. 6:2).  He specifically tells us in James 5:16a, "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed."  1 Thessalonians 5:21 tells us to encourage one another and build each other up.

The point here is that many of us ISOLATE ourselves, we withdrawal from others and pretend that all is fine, that we can handle life ourselves, just God and I, when that is not His plan for us.  He has given us each other and He expects us to care for one another beyond just the surface, beyond the facade.  We spend so much time hiding and stuffing the hurts, the disappointments, etc. that we not only disconnect ourselves from others but we delay the healing that God has for us.  God is using this book, Healing Is A Choice, to confirm what He has been doing in me.  He wants me to share with you that, there is hope for healing regardless of what your hurt is.  Physical healing is not the only type of healing that we need!  Ultimately our spiritual state is way more important that our physical one.  God brings healing to our spirits that is eternal but we do not have to wait for heaven to experience His abundant life.  John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy, I (Jesus) have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  To isolate and say that God and I can handle 'this' is a form of denial and it will not work!  It is a trick of the enemy and  I can tell you from personal experience, IT DOES NOT WORK!

Please hear this!  I am not suggesting that you need to shout your issues from the mountain top or tell everyone the details, what I am saying is that to act like there is not a problem, to continue on in the lie that if you ignore 'it' that it will go away or to suggest that you and God will handle it alone, that you can pray it away, is not true!  We all need help.  We all need each other and one of the biggest tactics of the enemy is to keep us so busy or so in denial that we have an issue that we withdraw from other believers as Hebrews 10:25 tells us we are likely to do.  We need the connection that God provides for us with other believers, note that He provided it!  He is meeting our needs; however He insists that we humble ourselves and be willing to admit our neediness first of Him and then to others.

I have spent years reading the Word, praying, sharing and trying to be more and do more that would make me more 'godly' or get over the issues that I face, but more than that I find I have isolated myself and only shared so much, not the roots; therefore I have not found healing but rather more bondage and more hurt!  Trust me you do not want to go that route!  God in His graciousness has never left me, nor has He allowed me to get away with the withdrawal instead He allowed me to become so miserable that I do not care who knows that I am hurting and that He has me on this Journey His Way!

Oh, people, His Journey is the best!!!  Do I hurt?  You'd better believe it!  Do I have joy every moment?  Nope!  But when I look to the Lord and obey His lead, He restores joy and He even goes beyond that to give me peace and hope!  Do I wish I didn't have to experience some of the ongoing things that appear to be 'that thorn in my flesh' that Paul talks about (2 Cor. 12:7)?  Uh, yep!  But this I do know that because of these 'issues' God has and is revealing Himself to me in ways I would never have known and I can tell you unequivocally that I would not trade this Journey He has me on for any other because I have found Him to be who He says He is!  I have much to learn and much healing to go, but praise God, He is healing me!  He is opening my eyes like never before and He will do the same for you!  Are you willing to do whatever it takes to get to the place that what He wants is what you want?  Like me, just ask Him to give you the willingness!

He will and when in my stubbornness I get in the way once again, He in His faithfulness draws me to repentance and allows me to once again experience Him!  He is all that matters!!!  Join me in this Journey His Way!  Stop making excuses, like I have for years, and submit to His ways!  Stop wondering why He will do certain things for others but He doesn't seem to help you!  It is because truly you and I have still wanted control in some form or fashion! Give Him ALL OF IT and TRUST HIM!  It is so worth it!!!

Let me remind you that the pain doesn't necessarily go away, that you may even have to do some things you would never have believed you would be required to do or stop some of the habits and believing the lies that you have believed for years but the joy, the peace, and the hope that He brings is beyond all that you could even think or imagine (Eph 3:20).  Again, it is so worth it because I was in pain already but now the pain is purposeful and God is using it to bring about hope and transformation in me!  Remember, He does the work, our job is to submit, to be still, to wait on Him, trust and believe that what He says is true and that He is completely able to meet our every need according to His will and His way and most often He uses others to do it and then in turn uses us to help them!  He is so amazing isn't He!!!

Father God, please take these words, this passion that I feel to catch the attention of those who like me have spent years either denying the hurt, or acting as if we are over it or trying to be more acceptable or pleasing to You and to those around us.  When the truth is because of Jesus we are completely accepted, from the time we acknowledged Him as our Lord and Savior, repented from our sins and recognized that He died for us and rose again to give us life, now throughout eternity!  May we be willing to get help if needed, regardless of what others think, whether it be professional help with godly counsel or the prayers of a trusted friend or whatever You are leading us to do.  Help us to submit to Your lead, nothing is more freeing that giving You total control.  Please God, I know many who are hurting may they choose to face their hurts head on with You in the lead and truly be willing to do whatever it takes.  The freedom from bondage is so worth it!  Now that I have had a taste of what You can do, I want more and more of You!  Please God help me to keep my eyes on You regardless of what comes my way!  Thank You, Father for Your faithfulness to meet us where we are and to never ever give up on us or leave us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment